adventures in creativity.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

I Made a Purse for My Sister.....Finally (Plus a Book Review)

The book review is not for my sister; it's for all of you. She can read it too, I guess.

Way back in March, I purchased a copy of the book One Yard Wonders by Rebecca Yaker of Hazel and Melvin's Room, and Patricia Hoskins of Crafty Planet. (Crafty Planet is in Minneapolis: I must go there on my next trip to the Twin Cities.) As the title implies this book is a collection of sewing patterns that use no more than one yard of fabric. It offers a great variety of things to create: clothing for women, children, and even your pooch. There are home decor projects, organization projects, and, of course, bags and purses. In the front of the book, there is a pocket to hold all of the patterns. The directions seem to all be pretty straight forward, but there are errors in quite a few of them; the corrections can be found here.

My oldest sister's birthday was in April. I told her to pick out anything in the book, and I would make it for her. She chose the Flouncy Bag found on page 156. I had just made one for my "secret pal" at my son's elementary school, so I knew there were errors in the measurements. I went online and made the changes. Unfortunately, not all of the errors had been published yet, and I did not bother to check back before I got around to making the bag for her just this week. (I know it is August, but I have a 3 1/2 month old; cut me some slack! ;) ) It all worked out in the end, and the bag is quite fabulous. Have a look for yourself:


The Fabric is called Pebbles and is from Erin McMorris' Park Slope Collection.

I was kind of afraid of piping when I first started to sew
but quickly found out that it is a piece of cake.



The inside has a ribbon that is used to hold all of your larger treasures in place.



Nice little ribbon detail.
You can see where I had to make a couple of tiny tucks on the side
because of incorrect measurements.

All in all I am very happy with this book. It is great to have around to find projects to use up leftover fabric. Just make sure to check online for errors before you start cutting. ;)

That's all I have for you until Monday. Have a wonderful weekend!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment