adventures in creativity.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How To Embroider On Paper

I love to embroider. It is a great way to add something special to so many handmade items; plus it is very relaxing! This is a quick little tutorial to show you an easy way to add stitching to paper. I will be using a paper doily today, but this method also works really well with paper that is opaque.

Let's get started!

First, choose your design and trace it on your paper. (If your paper is opaque you will need to use a light box, or you can tape it to a bright window to help see the pattern.) This one is from Jenny Hart's book Sublime Stitching. If you have not checked out Jenny's designs you need to; they are edgy, fun and fresh. No cutesy-teddy bears or country-bonnet girls to be found. You can find her patterns here.


Next, take your needle and poke little holes on the lines of the pattern.


Try to keep the holes spaced evenly. You are basically making hole where your stitches will be. If there is a corner or a point in your pattern, you will need a hole there.



Time to stitch! The pre-punched holes will keep your stitches on the line, even when you are coming in from the back side of the paper.


All done!

Piece of cake!

This is such lovely way to add a personal touch to note cards, scrapbook pages and so much more!

Have a great day!


oneprettything


Between the Lines

9 comments:

  1. So cute! Of course, I love the design you picked :) For some reason, I have this love for cake plates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! One day I will have a kitchen big enough for me to collect and display vintage cake plates; one day....;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this...so cute! I never would have even thought to do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found your link on One Pretty Thing. This looks like a fun craft. Simple pleasures in life are best, I think.
    Congrats on starting your blog. I am having blog-worthy issues lately, too. Would rather peruse than do. Keep up your momentum, and look forward to more of your inspirations put to blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I'm going to share this with my daughters, ages 11 & 14. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I enjoyed visiting your blog, so I included this post in my Saturday Stumbles post. I also submitted your blog to Saturday Spotlight.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute, I love this transfer, I just posted a project using it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a cute idea. I love the doily. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow.............its awesome i surely go for this and try this....it was great....

    Embroidery

    ReplyDelete