adventures in creativity.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Coloring on Fabric

My mother was quite crafty, and because her mother was very frugal most of the crafty things that I remember doing as a child made use of things that we already had, or could find in nature. We would sandwich crayon scrapings between two pieces of waxed paper and make "stained glass." We would make etchings of leaves on paper with crayons. My mother had the most beautiful flower gardens in the summer, and I remember folding flowers in waxed paper and pressing them in the pages of heavy books. About a week later, Mom would carefully take them out and seal them into the paper with an iron.
Simple pleasures...... :)

I may be older now, but I am still a kid at heart. I love to color. I love coloring books and coloring pages. After I finished printing out my monogram yesterday I decided that it needed some color; and here is how I did it!

You will need:
  • Fabric
  • Crayons-plain old crayons
  • Iron and ironing board
  • 2 sheets of paper

Let's get started!

First, color your fabric. Duh, right?
I like to layer my colors. Just have fun with it!




Now that I have finished coloring, I am going set the color with some heat. As you all know, crayons are made of wax, and wax melts. So, when you apply heat the color will kind of melt into the fabric. This is where the two sheets of paper come in: you are going to want to put a piece of paper under your fabric to protect your ironing board, and one on top of your fabric to keep the crayon wax off of your iron.




(Note to self: turn off the flash when taking close-ups.)



Lovely!

I am not done yet, but the rest will have to wait for another post!

Have a great night!

1 comment: