adventures in creativity.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Everything Old Is New Again: Credenza Reveal

I have no excuse as to why it has taken so long to get this post up other than sheer laziness. You can see the before pictures here.



I began by removing all of the hardware and the doors from the top of the cabinet. As you can see in the photo, I used a putty knife to gently pry off that thing that I am prying off in the picture. I have no idea what it is called and I am okay with that. I have tried many times over the years to figure out how to get the fabric out and replace it with something prettier, but the only way that I can see it happening is by completely removing the stereo and record player mechanisms, and I do not want to because they still work, so the fabric stayed. I used blue painters tape and paper to protect it from drips.



Next, I gave her a light sanding with 150 grit sand paper. I then gathered all of my favorite supplies and began priming.



This is after one coat of Zinsser Cover Stain Primer and a light sanding with 220 grit sandpaper....



and this is after two coats and another light sanding. I almost always use two coats of primer because I feel like (A.) I can make sure that I have not missed any spots and (B.) I like the end result better.




Time for paint. Two coats of Benjamin Moore's Aura paint in "slip" (AF-605.)
Now, let me just say this: I am in love with Benjamin Moore paint. Their color selection is outstanding and the paint itself is of great quality; however, I will not use their Aura paint when painting furniture again. It dries too fast and the label advises against using products like Floetrol. Instead they want you to use their paint extender. Benjamin Moore, I love you, but for $50 a gallon/$20 a quart, this stuff should practically put itself on. Just sayin'.




I actually poured it on the top and spread it with my brush as quickly as I could, but it still dragged and roped. Ugh. I sanded and then bit the bullet and had the Mr. pick up some of their extender when he went to the Big Town. After the final coat dried completely, I put on three coats of Minwax Polycrylic and called it a day.

Here she is....all perrrty and stuff.



I wish that the color translated on computer better. It is actually a really dreamy pinkish lavender.



I must admit that I first I was on the fence about the color on this piece, but it has grown on me, and I now love it. It has such a soft, feminine look to it, which makes me smile.

So I want to know: have you used B.M.'s Aura line, and if so, what did you think of it?

1 comment: